No matter the make and model of your car, transmission repairs can be costly. If you don’t choose the right mechanic, it could end up costing you even more. Whether your gears are slipping or your transmission fluid is burning, here are 5 things to consider when choosing someone to work on your transmission.
· The certifications of the technicians. You shouldn’t trust your transmission to just anyone. Any mechanic that works under the hood of your car should be ASE certified. The National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence provides tests for those mechanics seeking to be certified. In order to take this test, there are number of exams that must be completed. Plus, each mechanic must have a certain amount of work hours completed before they can be considered. Individuals who are ASE certified have the credentials and experience needed to handle whatever repair your transmission needs.
· The accreditation of the shop. The technicians at your auto body shop aren’t the only things that should be certified. It’s also important that the shop is listed with the Better Business Bureau. The BBB provides a system for consumers to measure and choose the service provided by different businesses. The higher the grade given by the BBB, the better the customer service. Also, check for business licenses and insurance before allowing them to handle your car.
· Is the business locally owned and operated? While you might think that a large chain of auto body shops is the way to go, it’s actually better to choose one that is locally owned and operated. Smaller shops tend to build better relationships with their customers. Plus, it’s easier to have warranties honored when working with a locally owned business.
· Special offers. A good auto repair shop understands just how costly issues with your car can be. For that reason, they offer discounts, coupons, or specials to their customers. Beware of shops that try to nickel and dime you. Instead, look for an honest company that wants to give you the best service for the best price.
· Choose a shop that works quickly. When your car has an issue, you can’t afford to have it in the shop for weeks. A good auto repair shop understands how important your vehicle is. They have their garage well-staffed and will have your car back to you sooner rather than later.
No matter what your transmission trouble is, don’t try to repair it yourself. Instead, find a trusted auto transmission specialist in Buckhead. By using these tips, your car will be restored in no time.